DIRECTORATE-GENERAL FOR WORKS DON BOSCO
Via della Pisana 1111 - 00163 Rome
The General Councilor for Formation
Rome, March 5, 2013
I am writing about the 4th year studies for students living in the "Zeffirino Namuncurà" community of Gerini and attending the Faculty of Theology of the UPS.
The GC26 had noted a lack of pastoral theological preparation and had therefore proposed the following orientation: " The Rector Major and his Council promote, through the Dicastery for Formation, a more consistent theological pastoral preparation in the curricula of specific formation " (CG26 40) . In light of this orientation, having consulted the Faculty of Theology of the UPS, the Vice Province, the formation community and the "Curatorium" of Gerini, the Rector Major with the General Council had taken the decision to give special attention to pastoral theology for Gerini's 4th year students.
After the experimentation of these two years, it is considered appropriate to better determine the aims and the proposal regarding the 4th year studies. I present below the methods that are considered appropriate to carry out the fourth year of theological studies.
The purpose of intellectual formation for the 4th year student confreres of the "Gerini" community in Rome is twofold:
The proposal of the study of pastoral theology is thus outlined:
First possibility : enroll in the 1st year of License in a curriculum of the Faculty of Theology or in the three-year license curriculum in Canon Law.
The curricula of the Faculty of Theology are all biennial: youth ministry, catechetics, biblical and liturgical pastoral, dogmatic theology, spiritual theology - Salesian studies, spiritual theology - youth spirituality, spiritual theology - formation of formators and vocational animators. The Provincial in dialogue with the student brother chooses one of these curricula.
The courses of the basic compulsory activities taken from other curricula, that is the courses of youth ministry, fundamental catechetics and spiritual accompaniment, in the opinion of the directors of the chosen curriculum, can be considered as optional courses of the curriculum itself. Beyond the license curricula of the Faculty of Theology, under the same previous conditions, the three-year curriculum in Canon Law can also be chosen.
Second possibility : enroll in the Diploma in Pastoral Theology.
The Diploma lasts one year and offers the possibility of a synthetic vision of the special disciplines of pastoral theology; this diploma can be recommended for those who do not continue their studies immediately with a license from the UPS. Attached is the presentation of the Diploma
Concretely , 4th year students will have to attend basic compulsory activities for all; they will have to decide with their Inspector: (1) whether to enroll in the "First year of a License indicated above", which could also include the presence of the UPS after priestly ordination to complete the two-year or three-year course; or (2) whether to obtain the "Diploma in pastoral theology" and then return to the Province of origin and then continue with a license.
The pastoral exercises are part of the formation process and are entrusted to the formation community; attention will be given to the exercise of the diaconal ministry, not only in the aspects of service of the word and the liturgy, but also in the task of guiding and "leadership" of the community.
I thank you for your attention and I greet you cordially
Don Francesco Cereda
1. Starting from the Academic Year 2011-2012, the Faculty of Theology began the Diploma in Pastoral Theology, in order to complete the theological and pastoral preparation of candidates for the priesthood (Cfr. Sapientia. Christiana Art. 74.§1.2 ; Statutes of the UPS Art. 75.§3).
2. For enrollment in the Diploma of Pastoral Theology of the Faculty of Theology of the UPS, “it is required to present the authentic attestation of all the studies done in the first cycle and the grades reported in the individual exams. The final diploma is awarded only to students who have completed the first cycle of theological studies with the attainment of the relative academic degree of Baccalaureate "( Ord. art. 150.§3).
3. The Diploma of Pastoral Theology has its own study plan , oriented to the integration of studies in the first cycle, in particular with regard to pastoral theology ( Ord . Art. 151.§2).
The purpose of the Diploma in Pastoral Theology is to offer a basic pastoral theological preparation in view of the presbyteral ministry, integrating it with courses offered by the specializations of the UPS Faculty of Theology.
1. Students who complete their formation in view of the presbyteral Ordination through the Diploma of Pastoral Theology agree with the Dean of the FT a personalized study plan , following some compulsory courses, called basic activities, and other complementary courses of their choice, called characterizing activities , required for each semester, compatibly with timetables and without overlaps.
2. The basic activities consist of 25 ECTS; the characterizing activities are chosen from the curricula of the 2nd cycle of the Faculty of Theology and must total at least 25 ECTS . These courses have academic validity
3.During the 4th year, pastoral exercises are carried out with attention to the practice of the diaconate; they are carried out under the responsibility of the formation community. At the end of the year the student must present a written paper of 10-15 pages , prepared with the guide of a teacher, concerning the exercise carried out and in the light of the courses attended; it is worth 10 ECTS .
4. Responsible for the Year of Diploma of Pastoral Theology is the Dean of the Faculty of Theology.
5. The courses necessary to achieve the Diploma in Pastoral Theology are the following:
5.1. Compulsory basic activities: 25 ECTS
These are the ones described above in the letter and consist of the following courses:
5.2. Characteristic activities of your choice: 25 ECTS
The characterizing activities are chosen, in dialogue with the Tutor, among the courses of the following specialization curricula of the Faculty of Theology:
5.3. Written paper: 10 ECTS
This is a written paper of 10-15 pages with a description and an evaluation of the pastoral exercise carried out in the fourth year, with a relative pastoral project.