|Project:||Vicariate Apostolic, Chaco Paraguayo|
Vicariate Apostolic of Chaco Paraguayo
On 28 December 1878, the Holy See, through Cardinal Nina, asked Don Bosco to send missionaries to Paraguay, as from Rome the Extraordinary Apostolic Delegate, Mons. Ángelo Di Prieto from Asunción had asked.
On 7 June 1894, Bishop Lasagna, arriving in Mato Grosso, went to Concepción and saw the Chaco Indians for the first time, from his boat.
In 1917 Fr Emilio Sosa Gaona, who became the first Bishop of Concepción and Chaco, established the first Salesian community in Fuerte Olimpo. The Salesians and Salesian Sisters set themselves up along the banks of Río Paraguay to await the Paraguayans who were coming to Pto. Pinasco, Pto. Casado, Pto. Sastre and Guaraní in incrfeasing numbers, looking for work.
Some features of the Vicariate: