Dear Salesian Confreres,
dear Members of the Salesian Family,
My heartfelt greetings to all of you.
After the celebration of the 28th General Chapter of the Salesians of Don Bosco, some changes are taking place in the various services of animation. One of these concerns the Secretariat of the Rector Major for the Salesian Family.
In this line I would like to notify the Salesian Family worldwide about the Delegates of the Rector Major for those groups where is requiered a direct spiritual animation by the Salesians of Don Bosco.
The Delegates of the Rector Major are:
- Fr Joan Lluís Playà, Delegate of the Rector Major for the Secretariat of the Salesian Family; he will continue to be the Ecclesiastical Assistant of the VDB (Volunteers of Don Bosco) and CDB (Volunteers with Don Bosco). Fr Joan Lluís is already well known, since he worked in this field during the previous years. We also appreciated him as a good Coordinator of the Animation Team of the Spirituality Days of the Salesian Family.
- Duc (Dominic) Nam Nguyen, Vietnamese Salesian Brother, will be the Delegate of the Rector Major for the Association of the Salesian Cooperators and the Delegate of the Rector Major for the Past Pupils of Don Bosco.
- Dominic has a good knowledge of the European and the Italian context and undoubtedly he is a reference point for the Asian culture. My intention is to avoid a Europeanisation or Westernization in the animation of the Salesian Family; rather I wish to make it more universal, and also to value at the best the vocation of the Salesian Brother in its more specific characteristics, including the animation of the Salesian Family, in particular of the two groups within it composed mainly by lay people.
- Fr Alejandro Guevara, at present the Delegate for the Salesian Family of the Province Mary Help of Christians in Seville (Spain), will be the Delegate of the Rector Major as Spiritual Animator of the Association of Mary Help of Christians, accompanying first of all the ADMA PRIMARIA in Turin and, from there, the whole Association in the Salesian world. His dwelling will be in Valdocco and from Valdocco he will carry on his service of animation.
- Fr Pier Luigi Cameroni, Postulator General for the Causes of Saints, will also be part of the team of the Secretariat, in order to enrich the Salesian Family with the vision and better understanding of Salesian holiness, to which we are all called.
I am very grateful to these four confreres for their availability and generosity in accepting their assignments; I also thank Fr Eusebio Muñoz, Fr Giuseppe Casti and Fr Raphael Jayapalan for the dedicated and qualified service they have rendered in the previous six years to our Family. My best wishes for the years ahead, praying for the continuation of a lively and beautiful animation of the whole Salesian Family, and at the same time for the innovation and renewal that the Church and Don Bosco’s charism requires today from all of us.
Fr Ángel Fernández Artime, S.D.B.